Friday, March 2, 2012

Photography

When picking a photographer, there are plenty of things that you should look for.  The first thing that many brides look for is price.  I would say that this shouldn't be the first thing you want to look at because there are plenty of times that you're getting only what you pay for (this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but we'll go over that later).  Another thing that brides look for is the package details.  This is important, because this details what you're paying for.  There is also the possibility that your photographer won't include a copy of your pictures on a DVD in the lowest package (this isn't common, but it can happen) without paying a fee first.  You will definitely want to find out how many photographers you're going to have on your wedding day.  Multiple photographers means different angles at the ceremony, pictures of the bride AND the groom getting ready (this is especially nice if you're getting ready in separate locations--for a wedding at a hotel, I recommend the groom and groomsmen getting ready in a room at the hotel so that the photographer(s) have an easier time getting pictures of both of you), and two people putting their creative spins on your pictures.
What I'm doing for my wedding is using an amateur photographer.  While there are people who will say that this is a risk, there are plenty of benefits for myself and my photographer.  The benefits to me include  my own creative direction will be taken into account, I'm saving TONS of money, and I know the photographer personally (and we both know what kind of photography the other does).  For the photographer, the biggest benefits are exposure and a direct payment.  This photographer also did my engagement photos, so I know what kind of pictures he takes.
Perhaps the biggest piece of advice I hope you take away from this is that you need to weigh the risks, decide what you would like to do and how much you would like to spend.  While it is easy to just have someone take pictures with your own digital camera, invest in some sort of photographer, be it professional or amateur.  You don't want to regret the pictures that you have when you look back years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment